acupuncture as an effective energy medicine

So the first thought in my mind is, what do we mean by "energy medicine"? There were a few articles in our packet on Energy Fields that described this as a field of electromagnetic energy, or as Qi, something that is beyond what we can physically measure, or as an "aura" - even as something that transcends matter and flows as an intelligence across members of a species.

I can speak to my own personal connection with energy medicine, a sense of my own energetic flow and that of other people, that is not acquired through understanding anything mentally - such as anatomy - or seeing anything physically, such as a cut on my skin, or a flush on the cheeks. Yet it is a *felt* sense, feeling the energy at a point, or running through my body... and I notice that as I practice giving and receiving acupuncture over time - just as I practice yoga over time - I get more acquainted with that feeling, more able to hone in on the sources of the deepest sensation and vibrancy - i.e. the acupuncture points - a sense of fullness and activity, of life, as opposed to a sense of absence, quiet, non-activity, when I am more and more certain that I have missed the mark - or a sense of dullness, lack of feeling, which is paradoxically often accompanied by physical pains - when I can tell that my own channels have stagnated.

When I read studies about acupuncture I am often curious about the practitioner, and how little attention is paid to them in these studies. If the studies wasn't speaking to "evidence-minded" Western scientific types who are so much in their logical black vs. white, colonial minds... if we were having the conversation within a collection of people who have a cultivation and mastery of their own Qi, and sensing it in others, I would imagine the studies would be designed differently. I would imagine that lots of care was taken to select a cross-section of very masterful practitioners that have reputations for very powerfully effective treatments, who have a Qi Gong or other kind of pratcie of Qi / Prana cultivation. Then, I imagine, all the "mircales" and incredible transformation witnessed by those of us very exposed to acupuncture in the day to day, would start to hold up in the research.

Comments

Popular Posts