mamas, infants & microbiomes

From the packet from the class I missed, it looks like there might have been a class discussion on Maternal diet and infant gut biome... and honeybees microbiome...

We're all grown-up infants... we're all ecologies of bacteria... and now looking at this article about maternal microbiome and babes, I do very much wonder if my, and so many other people's, gut biomes were trashed right from the start, before our mothers even had the chance to not breast feed us. And the more I learn about bees, the more I feel that they are really the canary in the coalmine of our way of relating to land, fertility and life itself.

That's not to attack mothers for eating unhealthy diets - prenatal health its a cultural problem and in our cultures mothers are so, so deeply under attended and supported psychologically during their pregnancy. Just look at how people eat, all the fat and sugar in the Standard American Diet. Why should it magically change once a mother gets pregnant? Habits don't work like that - even if there was education available to all about nutrition, which there is not. I love that people are talking about the gut biome. I just found out I have SIBO, I hope to help my son love and tend his biome from now until the end of his days... And to think about the possibilities of helping pregnant mothers boost their unborn children's flora as part of prenatal practice... divine.

Comments

Popular Posts